Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Peek at Spring



What a beautiful weekend! Ok I know it's STILL Cleveland and here...it's really STILL winter (the foot of snow still on the ground is proof), but the sun shone brilliantly for two days straight. The temps were over 40 degrees and people were strolling the sidewalks again. Just lovely.

So this 'tease' I'm calling shades of spring made me consider what is it that I am working on now that might bring on a feeling of spring. And the first thing that popped into my head was the vintage cookie tin I've decided to use to create a new jewelry line. First here is a picture of the tin I am referring to:


Beautiful right? A circa 1950s cookie tin from Holland. Imagine my reluctance to take a sharp pair of tin snips to this wonderful work of art. But I had this itch to create jewelry pieces using it's colors and patterns so holding my breath...I made the first cut.

By the way, tin is NOT easy to cut! It's sharp and stiff and cutting those tiny pieces for earrings and bracelets was ridiculously time consuming. But still I have to say...I sooooooo enjoyed it!

So here is my first attempt. The earrings having already sold within a week of listing. I see lots of improvement needed, but I think it will get better with each snip.



I am looking forward to more designs from this wonderful find and most certainly looking forward to spring!

7 comments:

Joella on March 8, 2010 at 8:36 AM said...

I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog...I'm now a follower and looking forward to your future posts:) Happy Blogging!

Joella
www.oneartsychick.blogspot.com

JBird's Garden on March 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM said...

Joella - thank you and welcome! I just checked out your blog and am drooling over all your goodies!!! I am most certainly adding you to my list of great reads!

Janiece

http://jbirdsgarden.blogspot.com

Erica on March 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM said...

Oh wow, that tin is amazing! I would never have the courage to destroy it, but you made such lovely pieces that it was so worth it! Awesome!

Laurel on March 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM said...

Oh, J - that tin is STUNNING, and your creations are just as beautiful! You are very brave to cut into that - I don't know if I could have done it! Bravo!

JBird's Garden on March 18, 2010 at 12:29 PM said...

Thank you Laurel - it wasn't easy to cut up...or cut into! Tin snips made the day! :)

Splendid Little Stars on March 23, 2010 at 10:36 PM said...

That is (was!) a beautiful tin! But, what lovely jewelry you made! very impressive!

JBird's Garden on March 24, 2010 at 7:24 AM said...

Thank you everyone for recognizing my crazy and appreciating the final result. As soon as this tendinitis in my elbow eases up I'll be back at it with those dreaded snips! :)

 

JBird's Garden ~ Handcrafted Jewelry Copyright © 2009 Designed by bjwCREATIVE